Study abroad

Planning your child’s tertiary education overseas

Education funding and planning assistance for study abroad

Understand the education fund you need to win at the starting line

  • Nowadays, many parents choose to send their children to study overseas, where they can receive a top quality tertiary education and experience cultural diversity. It is crucial to understand the expenses associated with studying abroad, including tuition fees, living costs, VISA expenses1 etc. to be financially prepared
United Kingdom
Wide cultural diversity and best universities in the world, e.g. Oxford and Cambridge
  • Tuition fee per year: Around HKD120K - HKD250K
  • Living expenses per year: Around HKD35K - HKD80K
  • Accommodation expenses per year: Around HKD60K - HKD120K
  • UK Tier 4 visa application fee: Around HKD3.5K
United States
Over 4,000 tertiary education institutions. Research and teaching opportunities for postgraduates
  • Tuition fee per year: Around HKD120K - HKD250K
  • Living expenses per year: Around HKD80K - HKD170K
  • Accommodation expenses per year: Around HKD35K - HKD85K
  • US student visa application fee: Around HKD1.3K


A more affordable option to study overseas combined with an enjoyable lifestyle

  • Tuition fee per year: Around HKD100K - HKD200K
  • Living expenses per year: Around HKD100K - HKD160K
  • Accommodation expenses per year: Around HKD60K - HKD150K
  • Australia student visa application fee: Around HKD3.5K


Affordable tertiary education with post-graduate work and immigration opportunities

  • Tuition fee per year: Around HKD100K - HKD210K
  • Living expenses per year: Around HKD60K - HKD110K
  • Accommodation expenses per year: Around HKD20K - HKD70K
  • Canada student visa application fee: Around HKD1K
  • Studying abroad can cost a fortune – it's no secret that parents tend to save up early for their children's education. With Money Master, you can set up a thorough savings plan and track expenses from your Hang Seng Hong Kong Dollar accounts and credit cards while registering for H A R O WhatsApp to receive progress reminders and personalised tips, allowing you to create a prosperous future for your children with ease.

Requirements and readiness for overseas education

  • When considering a study abroad destination, talk to your child about their academic interests and life aspirations. Do proper research or consult an overseas education advisor before choosing a suitable destination
  • Be aware of application deadlines and overseas requirements since these may vary from course to course. Public examinations such as the IELTS, TOEFL and SAT, or a Student Learning Profile, which lists students' achievements and awards, might be required for particular schools or programmes. Check out the overseas education requirements on the official school website to be well prepared
  • Apply for a student visa as soon as you have confirmed the school enrollment as application processing times vary. Supplementary documents such as proof of financial ability, Certificate of No Criminal Conviction (CNCC) and body check report might be required depending on different countries' standards
  • Choosing a safe accommodation is vital for students studying overseas. In general, international students may choose a homestay, student dorm or private apartment rental
  • Overseas student health coverage is compulsory for international students in some countries. Review your child's medical insurance coverage to see whether it provides sufficient coverage for overseas medical or hospital expenses in the study destination
  • credit card can soothe any financial emergencies while offering convenience for overseas spending

Send your love and care to your child overseas

  • After your child has settled down and opened an overseas bank account, you can make a remittance through Overseas Transfer services via Hang Seng Personal e-Banking, your nearest branch or Phone Banking to transfer money overseas for tuition fees and living expenses. To process an international money transfer, you need:
    • Bank name
    • Account number
    • SWIFT code2
    • Local clearing code (if any)
  • A bachelor’s degree programme normally takes 3 to 4 years to complete. Upon graduation, your child may return to Hong Kong to begin their career or stay overseas for further studies or work. Some countries / regions, such as Canada and Taiwan also offer permanent residency to skilled workers
  • As for parents, your child's graduation also signifies a major life milestone and it should be about time to start retirement planning and prepare for your twilight years

Transfer money overseas with your phone

Explore our products

Monthly Investment Plan for Funds

  • Start your investment as low as HKD500 per month with free termination at any time
  • Grow your money by regular contributions in advantage of Dollar Cost Averaging
Investment involves risk.

QuickReward Endowment Life Insurance Plan (1-Year)

  • Provides a Guaranteed Cash Value upon maturity to get quick return and manage wealth effectively
  • 1-Year short term endowment with various policy currency options
Terms and Conditions apply, please note the relevant product risks and credit risks. Please read the Product Brochure for details. QuickReward Endowment Life Insurance Plan (1-Year) is underwritten by Hang Seng Insurance Company Limited.


Disclaimer and other point(s) to note

  1. To borrow or not to borrow? Borrow only if you can repay!
  2. Investment involves risks. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. The value of financial instruments, in particular stocks and shares, and any income from such financial instruments, may go down as well as up. For further details including the product features and risks involved, please refer to the 'Principal Brochure'.
  3. Terms and Conditions apply.
  4. The information is provided by Hang Seng Bank Limited or its affiliates ("Hang Seng") for general information and reference only and does not constitute nor is it intended to be construed as any professional advice or recommendation. The information provided is based on sources which Hang Seng believes to be reliable but has not been independently verified. Any information provided herein are subject to changes without notice. No guarantee, representation, warranty or undertaking, express or implied, is made as to the fairness, accuracy, timeliness, completeness or correctness of any general information, projections and/or opinions ("Information") provided on this webpage and the basis upon which any such Information have been made, and no liability or responsibility is accepted by Hang Seng in relation to the use of or reliance on any such Information whatsoever provided on this webpage. Readers must make their own assessment of the relevance, accuracy and adequacy of the information provided on this webpage and make such independent research/investigations as they may consider necessary or appropriate for the purpose of such assessment. Hang Seng does not make any representation or recommendation or assessment as to whether or not any of the information mentioned herein is/are suitable or applicable to any persons and thus shall not be held responsible in this regard.
  5. Hang Seng Insurance Company Limited is authorized and regulated by the Insurance Authority of the HKSAR. Hang Seng Bank is an insurance agent authorised by Hang Seng Insurance Company Limited and the insurance products are products of Hang Seng Insurance Company Limited but not Hang Seng Bank.


  1. The above information is for reference only.
  2. According to the notice of Cross-Border Interbank Payment System (CIPS), starting from 1 January 2021, all cross-border RMB transfer will be handled with SIWFT BIC CODE via CIPS, remittance instruction with CNAPS CODE will not be accepted.